Those of you who are just now being able to access my site again, you might want to double-check how you’re getting here. If you’re using the address journal.bitchypoo.com, you couldn’t see me right away after the switchover, and that’s because it’s been a few years since I used journal.bitchypoo.com – I think it was … Continue reading “8/25/08”

Those of you who are just now being able to access my site again, you might want to double-check how you’re getting here. If you’re using the address journal.bitchypoo.com, you couldn’t see me right away after the switchover, and that’s because it’s been a few years since I used journal.bitchypoo.com – I think it was when I switched to WordPress that that changed. I had Fred put a forwarder on so that you’ll be automatically forwarded from journal.bitchypoo.com to plain old bitchypoo.com. I can’t promise that we’ll remember to do that next time we switch servers (and I can guarantee that some day we will switch servers again; that’s just the way the cookie crumbles), so keep in mind that bitchypoo.com should get you to the right place.


Also, the giveaway page has been moved to a new location because life’s just easier for me that way. Since I’m using WordPress for that page, you should be able to add it to your RSS feeder if you want. Or if you’d rather not, I changed the link in the sidebar for the correct page.

And lastly, the recipe page has been moved and has a new look (and it’s probably not going to get any fancier than that. You don’t need anything fancy, right? As long as you can see the recipes?). Fred’s supposed to be fiddling with some plug-in wherein you can just click on the category in the sidebar (for instance, “beef entrees”) and see the list of recipes to choose from. (Note: Yes, it’s apparently down. I don’t fucking know why. Jesus fucking christ. I guess when you move all your shit to a server that costs half as much, you get what you pay for.)



So the pigs went off to be processed yesterday. Originally they were supposed to go a week and a half ago, but that didn’t work out. And then the butcher was going to come get them, and THAT didn’t work out, so Fred bought a utility trailer and built a big box – for wont of a better description – on the trailer and started feeding the pigs in the trailer. It took a few days, but the pigs eventually came around to the change of feeding location. We found that if you wave a donut at a hungry pig, he’ll do just about anything he can to get to it. Yesterday, despite the fact that it was pouring down rain, Fred lured the pigs onto the trailer and shut them in, and then we (he) hooked the trailer up to the back of the truck and we drove slowly (not slowly enough for my taste, but I wasn’t driving) to the butcher.

We’ll pick up the processed meat in a week or two, and it sounds like we’re going to have more pork than we know what to do with.

Saturday, we drove up to Tennessee to Mennonite country. Fred had talked about maybe buying some pigs while we were up there, but he didn’t want to drive the truck up, because he didn’t want to jinx anything. He was sure that if we took the truck to Tennessee, it would break down and we’d be in all kinds of trouble when it came to delivering the pigs. So we took my car to Tennessee, and he put a cage in the back just in case we came across pigs or chickens we (he) just HAD to have. But when it came down to it and we located a house that had small pigs, I talked him out of it. I wasn’t against getting more pigs (those damn pigs come in seriously handy for disposing of kitchen scraps, I tell you what), I just didn’t want to have to drive all the damn way home with two stinky-ass scared squealing pigs in the back of the car.

(“Really, you think they’d stink?” Fred said, all earnest seriousness. “We had to drive home in 30-degree weather with all four windows wide open when we got the two we have,” I reminded him. “But these will be Amish pigs, they won’t STINK!” he said. “Yes, I’m certain that the cleanliness of their barnyard animals is foremost on their minds,” I said. “I’m trying to recall the many houses we’ve driven by and seen Mennonite children scrubbing down the pigs and cows. Thinking… thinking…”)

We did end up getting a couple dozen fertile chicken eggs from one place, eggs that are already in the incubator. We’ll see how that goes.

(“All this bouncing around on dirt roads isn’t bad for the eggs we’re going to try to hatch?” I asked Fred, imagining that if we cracked open one of the eggs we’d find something very much like scrambled eggs. “I guess we’ll know in about a week!” he said.)

So anyway, the pigs are gone. I can’t say having them gone is making much of a difference in my life – Fred’s the one who was responsible for feeding them and all that – but I do like knowing that they weren’t scared when we got to the butcher. When Fred went to get the guy, I got out of the truck and went around to the back of the trailer, and they both looked at me curiously like “What the hell are you doing to us now, and where’s the donuts?” When we drove off, they regarded us from the holding pen like “Seriously? No donuts?”, then turned around and started snuffling at the floor of the pen.

You can read Fred’s entry about the whole thing, but WARNING! About halfway down the page, there’s a picture of a dead and plucked chicken with its head and feet still on; you can read the whole pig section (at the top) without seeing that picture, but skip the rest of his entry if that sort of thing bothers you.

Tobacco plants in Tennessee.

Anyone know what this is? We saw it by the side of the road several places when we were in Tennessee, and Fred said he sees it around here every once in a while. It appears to be a bush, and the flowers are kind of like morning glories, but the leaves are completely different.



River and Inara are now safely ensconced in their new home. Friday morning they were in rare form, racing around, fighting, just being little wild things. I got out the cat carrier and put it in the hallway so that when the time came to put them in it, I could just grab them and pop them in it without them fighting me.

Naturally, Zoe was all “Hey, this is cool! I like this!” and took up residence.

River and Inara fought with each other for a while, and when they calmed down I popped them in the carrier, and off they went. Given that the first time they were in a carrier and car (when they were going to be spayed and neutered), they got carsick, I thought to bring a damp rag with me, just in case, but luckily didn’t need it. Neither of them was happy about being in a carrier, and they howled and howled all the way to Madison. Inara even started foaming at the mouth. I talked to them all the way and petted their little heads as best I could through the top of the carrier. When we got to their new home, we went inside and I opened the carrier, and they started exploring. And exploring. And exploring. Inara – as always – took the lead in exploring, and they got a look at their new sister (who promptly ran off and hid) and they were both all wide-eyed and “This is cool! What’s this place, huh?” Neither of them seemed to be scared, though I’m sure they were a bit overwhelmed.

I stayed for half an hour or so – and got a look at their GORGEOUS new home, I almost asked if I could be adopted along with them! – and the entire time they ran around, poking their noses in all the corners, checking out the windows, checking out the new smells. I left, and K, their new mom, kept me up to date on how they were doing, which is so awesome. You know, usually our fosters are adopted out and that’s pretty much the last we hear of them unless their new parents think to email the shelter and let us know how they’re doing. This way, I get to hear how they’re doing straight from their new Momma’s mouth (or fingertips, I guess!).

Inara’s new name is Dora (I told K that I call her Dora the Explorer because she’s the first one to scope out new situations), and she mentioned that River might become Nate. Can I tell you how thrilled I am that they got adopted together? SO THRILLED, you have no idea!

All day Friday and Saturday Kaylee and Zoe were very quiet and seemed a bit confused, they spent all day hanging out on my bed. They seemed to know something was different, they just weren’t sure what. Kara, on the other hand, was like “What kittens?” and acted like her usual self. Sunday, Kaylee and Zoe started to come out of their shell and began coming downstairs to hang out a little. Kaylee’s actually started to “talk” a little, which she never did when Inara and River were here, so maybe she’s going to take on the outgoing wild thang role.

So, the house is quieter (and I miss seeing Inara walk across the room and stick her tail straight up in the air when I speak to her and seeing River’s sweet goofy little face), but everyone seems to be adjusting.






2007: No entry.
2006: No entry.
2005: No entry.
2004: I haaaaaaaaaate having to deal with strangers.
2003: I guess when your boss (the Supreme Court) tells you to do something and you tell him to go fuck himself, shit tends to fly.
2002: No entry.
2001: No entry.
2000: The thrills and chills around here just never stop, folks.